Wednesday - School M day

During this fall, I've had some of 9th graders coming to my office with questions about the broadness of some specific high school programs, and the troubles on how to start university studies after graduation. Then it's been so easy to show them these sheets, and to see that some programs are more like each other, some HS programs you actually have to scratch if you want to become like a doctor or engineer right away, and in some programs you don't, because there is a difference on which program you study or not, if you have a specific university topic in mind, and the teens are terrified to chose "wrong". 

I try to calm them down and show that all of the programs are good for university studies, but they have to chose specific courses wisely. When discussing this fright, and about the courses, it's often combined with other fears as well, like what if the grades they get won't be enough, or what happens if they change their mind?

Of course Sweden have ways to go if you don't choose "the right program" at once, like most can start a new HS-program until they are 20 years old, or study at the municipal adult education to get the same courses as well, so I try to explain this to calm them down a bit.


A Swedish website called Utbildningsinfo have created something called "Behörighetsvisaren", a simplified requirements viewer where you can see what high school courses that comes with a specific high school program, and which courses you have to add, either during the high school years or by adult education as well to study the specific university programs. This is so handy in my work.

For some time I've had thought of printing the PDF-version of this requirements-viewer to have at an easy access here at School M; At my School R I've had these sheets for a while and use them from time to time, but here I haven't had them (because the printer have not worked until now)...

So today! I finally printed these out, one for each program that has general entry requirements, laminated them and have now one booklet in my office, and one out in the hallway for the students to look at.


Hopefully it will take them one step further in making the choice of high school program and now I finally have these sheets at both schools! Yay!



Comments

Popular Posts