On the web or IRL

The other day I was on Netflix and watched a sad, but wonderful story about a girl. The movie is called "A girl like her" (Link to the website) I can recommend anyone who work, has teens or come in contact with teenagers in High School-age to watch it. It's a strong story build upon hundred of stories about bullying, both from the bullies and the victims themself. The movie is made like a documentary but is a played saga, an IMPORTANT played saga.


I'm very grateful for this thing called Internet. Here you can read about most things, about the smallest of molecules to the outer space. We spread out opinions so easy on the net, as well as sharing pictures and notes on everything. Though we leave a trace behind us. All the things we post on facebook, instagram, snapchat, youtube and so on is saved on servers. It's a lot of truth in the saying, "once it's up there you can't take it down".


But we adults see the internet as it's own thing, like it's separated from the real life. We know it can affect us but wee see it like two divided things. I think it's a different view then our students have, the kids and teens; it's a part of their life, it's not a separate sphere anymore.
At one of my schools we have some issues about Social Media, and what the students write to each other. It can be quite serious things and it's something we have to work more active with at the school. I try to talk to the pupils when I meet them in the hallway, but I think we need to address this at a more active level as well.

As a Swedish School counselor I need to address this as it actually can affect the students in the future, their digital footprint - what the internet is showing on them matters, like when they apply for jobs or attend job interviews just to give one example.

But I need to address this issue as an Adult working with young people as well.  Another counselor in south of Sweden have written a blog-post about this as well, but after a seminar with one police. Here you can read what he wrote: Syvbloggen on the post Hacking, illegal threats, slander - How common are these crimes in school? ( Dataintrång, olaga hot, förtal – Hur vanligt är brott i skolan?)


For more tips on cyber bullying you can check out Confident Counselors website as well.


I can't use all of it in my work, since I'm just in the educational and vocational corner, but I think some of it can be helpful either way.






Comments

Popular Posts