Time in the classroom

Next week I've happily planned some lessons with Job-theme for some of the refuges at our school, together with one of the teachers. I'm so looking forward to it! To discuss different careers and job titles as well as why we pay taxes and how a community is brought together! I will use this book, fast translated to: "Work from A to Z" with the workbook "The big Work book". Yay!



As I said before, I think it's hard to find the time to be in the classroom with every class and I haven't worked my way around how I can make it happen yet. I've worked at one of my schools for a year now, and it's my first semester for the other one! So I have a lot of ideas that I've tried, some I've saved and some that I haven't really come up with yet.

I got some tips from reading this blogpost on School Counselor Life
Like actually booking the classroom and that class once a month. But I liked how she did it at her middle school, with cooperation with the school library.

Maybe I'm stopping myself? Since I know how "Valuable" the teachers think their time is, and how much pressure the teacher has on them to keep up with everything, I don't want to cause any trouble... But I know the kids will grow by it, and I will cooperate with the mentors of each class as well!

I have a colleague here in Lulea who had time to do group-counseling with the 8th grade and instead of being jealous, maybe I should just do it? Though I haven't gotten any answer yet on where she finds the time for these group-sessions.

Though I think I need an idea on what to work with on these lessons, as it's said in the state; A counseling program. And as I'm writing that sentence, the answer is simple: Swedish work system and career counseling. I need to continue forming my own School Counseling Program.





I'm actually meeting with my principle next week to continue talking about how career counseling can become a responsibility for the whole school, not just little me. Here in Sweden this often becomes the counselors problem, that it's only their job. Not the whole truth but quite a deal of it. Because my teachers are working with this every day, but maybe they just don't know the word for it yet. First I need to try and continue making my School Counseling Program. The idea is not finished, but I want it on a higher level than just doing random stuff around career counseling, if you get what I mean?

One tip I got on the Counseling conference was to talk to the teacher through grade 1 to 9th grade, on which high school programs our pupils apply to, where they end up, and how the Swedish labor market looks like, with graphs and data. I want to do this as well! Hopefully there will be some time before the summer holiday for me to do it :)


Comments

  1. Thank you for the shout out! I hope your meeting with your principal goes well!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts